Oh snap, I'm still here?


It has been close to 8 years since my last post. Uhhhh... No particular reason or anything I just got a little lazy I guess.

I've never done a post here that wasn't directly about a movie. This feels a little strange and awkward. Thanks for coming along.

I started this site in 2010 so for the majority of its lifetime it has gone completely ignored. Oops. That's OK though, I didn't have very high expectations but the user engagement numbers have consistently been low enough for me to wonder if the time investment is worth it at all. I'm still somewhat, barely here so I guess it is but honestly this website is as much for my own enjoyment as it is for anyone else's.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things it hasn't really been all that long, but it does feel like cinema and entertainment in general has dramatically and fundamentally shifted and in a lot of ways in directions that I really don't like. Audiences have too, and this pisses me off considerably. It is all 'content' now. Fucking ugh. There's that Netflix movie with Ana de Armas and Captain America that my girlfriend made me watch. Actually I don't have a girlfriend but I wanted to riff on that Pulp Fiction vegetarian girlfriend line and be like my girlfriend likes shitty movies which means I like shitty movies but I'm trying to be more honest than that. Sorry, I recently rewatched Tarantino's fun phase and holy shit those movies are still good. He's gone all serious and depressing as of late.
Anyway the point is that I literally cannot remember the title of that movie and in my mind it's kinda weirdly jumbled up with that Ryan Reynolds Gal Gadot The Rock thing they did the title of which I also cannot recall. Through the power of the internet I could obviously look up those details so Im being a little bit facetious but the point I'm trying to make is important maybe.
There is too much of this 'content' and not enough of 'cinema.' Does that even make sense? The sterile writing. The asinine characterization. Oh god the cinematography makes me fucking shit and vomit all at the same time.
Crucially, both of those movies and so many more like it - even produced by the big boy studios for theatrical distribution, this isn't just endemic to streaming land - are completely interchangable to the point where I'm convinced you could make a supercut of them all and it'd be just as consistent and make just as much sense as the original source materials.

Right around the time that I started this site there was a real and tangible and very specific wave of mindfuck filmmaking going that seems to have all but completely dried up. Or am I just looking in the wrong places? Am I even looking at all, or just passively waiting for good shit to fall into my lap? Do I even have the time to burn through a dozen or more movies in any given week anymore? How do I get out of this cycle of rhetorical questioning?

The industry has definitely changed. Audiences have also. I have too. I recently saw Palm Springs and it thoroughly tickled me, but holy shit I honestly can't remember the last good mindfuck movie I've seen. Even if I could, there has probably not been more than a small handful in the past 8 years. This pretty much sucks, kinda.

What does the future of Cerebral Coitus hold? Basically if I come across a movie that I think would belong in this collection, and I can be bothered to do so, and have not lost the login credentials, and am still alive at the time, then I may or indeed may not add it depending on how I'm feeling about things at the time.
I will not lie to you. Things are uncertain. There's much obfuscating one's sight into the future. Huh, that's actually kinda interesting to think about. You could be reading this sometime in the future when I'm dead. Maybe I will haunt the readers of this website! How fun. Or perhaps we will all be eradicated at the same time in some kind of global cataclysm? Hmm... Could go either way, honestly.

I hope that some people will find this website to be of service though. :)